We recently encountered an issue with the Blackberry Administration with a client. The client was running Blackberry Enterprise Server Express (BES) version 5.0 on their system, and all attempts to login to the Administration page kept failing, although the actual application was synchronizing emails with the devices.
After much research and removing and installing Java (a previous Java update had caused the initial issue and it just got worse from there), an examination of the log file BBAS-AS started to show the following error;
lifecycleException: service.getName(): “jboss.web”; Protocol handler start failed: java.io.IOException: Keystore was tampered with, or password was incorrect
- Open up the Services and stop the following two. “Blackberry Administration Server – Application Server” and “Blackberry Administration Service – Native Code Container”
- Open Regedit and go to “HKCU\Sofware\Research In Motion\Blackberry Enterprise Server\Administration Service\key store” and see if you have a WebKeyStorePass. We didn’t have any of this so we created the keys and added our password (admittedly unencrpyted) to the WebStorePass. The password here should match the actual password used to access the Administration program!
- Now go to “C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\Blackberry Enterprise Server\BAS\bin” and rename the key.webstore to say key.webstore.old (if not installed on C:\ then enter correct path!)
- Run the cmd as and administrator (Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator)
- Change to the following directory were <Jave Folder> is the folder where you java is installed “C:\Program Files (x86)\java\<Java Folder>\bin (if not installed on C:\ then enter correct path!)
- This is the where you need to type stuff, so make sure you type is correctly; (if not installed on C:\ then enter correct path!)
keytool -genkey -alias httpssl -keypass <password for the BB admin page> -keystore “C:\Program Files (x86)\Research In Motion\Blackberry Enterprise Server\BAS\bin\web.keystore
Enter the password for the Blackberry Admin Page
You will now be asked for information which you need to enter.
What is your first and last name? Just enter the FQDN of the server
What is the name of your organization? Again just enter the FQDN of the server
What is the name of your organization? Enter company name
What is the name of your City of Locality? Enter your City
What is the name of your State or Province? Enter your State
What is the two-letter country code for this unit? Enter code e.g. UK
It will then ask you if the information is correct, just type in YES
- Restart the “Blackberry Administration Service – Application Server” and the “Blackberry Administration Service – Native Code Container” – although the former should automatically start the latter.
WAIT: Give it about 5 mins. but hopefully now you will have access to the Administration Program as if nothing had ever happened